Thursday, September 01, 2016

Conquering the Year By Panney Wei, C.Ht.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Hello friends! Life is full of ups and downs and fabulous moments in between. This is the lunar year of the Fire Monkey, so it’s a year of great movement and change, and hopefully like the monkey, full of surprises and a plethora of positivity that will boost your life to the next level! I am honored to be able to connect, communicate, and help you through this blog and truly hope it can inspire you and give you the courage to reach your dreams, your goals big or small, and achieve the life you’ve always imagined for yourself, your family, and your community, and pay it forward as well.  

In this first article, which will be featured in two parts, we will be talking about conquering this year with courage, vision, and confidence. I will be sharing with you several tips that will help you forge ahead, overcome obstacles, and take a leap towards your dreams or goals for the year.

PART I
Tip #1: Face your Challenges
When you’re faced with formidable obstacles and it seems like life has crashed down all around you, or you feel weak, and cannot see the light or breakthrough, remember that deep inside you, everyone has hidden reserves of energy, strength, and the determination to get through anything in your path. We are all faced with challenges in our life. Challenges exist because if we didn’t have them, we wouldn’t appreciate the good times, come to know the difference, and find the balance. I’m grateful for all the challenges in my life.  They have made me stronger, wiser, and a deeper and better human being. When I was in my late teens, I struggled with the life-threatening illness, bulimia. It was triggered by having to quit my skating career after skating for over eleven years competitively. It was my passion having devoted so much of my life to it, but my parents wanted me to forge a different path and so being under their roof and a minor and respecting and honoring their wishes, I had to comply. Because of the disappointment and other factors in my environment at the time, I fell into a depression, experiencing a loss of identity and self, and it was one of the darkest periods of my life. The depression triggered the illness that led to a near death experience that changed my life forever. This was a major challenge to overcome. The only way I could over come it was to change my circumstances, changing my mindset into one that was positive and one of strength, and using the power of my mind and complete belief in myself to scale these challenges and get my life to where I want it to be. It was probably the biggest ordeal I had to overcome at that point in my life. I took all of the wisdom and experience I gained from being a competitive figure skater and applied it to overcoming my illness, heal myself, and coming out a champion.  One of the tools I used was the power of my mind with hypnosis and meditation which allowed me to change the way I felt about myself, change my internal chemistry and physiology and make better choices in living a healthier, dynamic life. It took time, resilience, patience, and taking each day at a time to overcome my illness, but I plugged away at it each day until I reached my goal. This is what I want for you as well. Anytime you are faced with a challenge, the best thing to do is to set the goal in your mind, and apply every amount of fortitude each and every day to your goal. If it is a difficult challenge, it’s important to find teachers, hypnotherapists, therapists, mentors, or wisdom from friends, books, and anything that you can get your hands on to help you reach your goal. Go all in because you are worth it! Even though you must face and experience the challenge alone, you are not without guidance. There is help all around you if you look for it. I promise that over time, you will inevitably reach your goal. What has worked for me as I travel and advance in different areas in my life whether it’s personal or professional is to have a champion mindset. I tell myself I can accomplish anything I set my mind to, and that way, I’m able to face any obstacle with the courage and the motivation needed to transform any negative situation into a positive.

Tip #2: Dig Deeper, Recharge, and Set a Vision
The new year is a good time to dig deeper into the most important areas of your life especially the areas that you feel that have been lacking or not been given the right amount of time, energy, and care into. Whatever you put your mind, focus, and energy into, is where you’ll get the most results. What’s worked for me is setting a vision for the future.  Everything in life happens in moments and phases, seasons and reasons, and timing is a big part of it. But life is also being prepared for when the opportunities show up and give you an opening to boost up your life. You have to be ready for the opportunities. If you set a vision for yourself about what you want to achieve in the future, then you’ll plant a seed in your subconscious mind to know where you’re going and take steps to achieve it. So often people get caught in the rat race of working day in and day out but often forget to check in with themselves to make sure that what you’re doing every day and spending time on has meaning in your life. That’s why taking a moment to recharge is so important. Part of setting a vision for yourself is to allow yourself first to take a moment to regroup and do some self-reflection on the status of your life. Is your personal life to your satisfaction? Are you experiencing some career dissatisfaction or remorse or regret in any area of your life? Is there something missing in your life in any area? The areas that I focus on are areas in my life that add value, meaning, or purpose to my life. Those are: family, professional life, personal life (friendship, health, & community), and mentorship. At different phases in your life, these areas might shift. Perhaps you’re getting married, making a change to your personal life, wanting to date again or start a family, then the categories of your personal life or family will require more attention. If you’re starting a new job or changing career direction, then the area of your professional life will require more effort or attention. You get the picture. Take a moment to do some self-reflection and dig deep within your soul to see what makes you happy, what areas need extra work, love, and attention, and answer those questions I’ve shared here and anything else your heart desires. Meditation helps, journaling, and doing some goal-setting exercises. It’s in those quiet moments of reflection that inspiration hits. After taking time to recharge and do some self-reflection, the next step is to create a vision for the future. This can be simply what you’d like to accomplish 1, 5, 10, 15 years or more from now.  Set a trajectory for the year and an image of what it looks like, and write down your goals. In my experience as a hypnotherapist, research shows that planting a seed in your subconscious mind about the goals you want to reach both in the form of an image and feeling is most instrumental in goal-setting and helping you attain your goals. As I’ve learned being a former athlete, athletes use this technique for excellence in sports performance, and it’s the same technique you can apply to any dream or goal you want to achieve in life. What I’m teaching you here is that whatever your mind can see and believe, you will achieve. So go deep, set a goal, visualize it, and then achieve it!

Tip #3: Figure Out What You’re Passionate about
Shouldn’t everything you do in your life be worth it, worth your time, energy, focus, attention. Time is precious and if you haven’t felt excited or enthusiastic about your life, now is the time to change it! It’s the New Year and the lunar new year of the fire monkey. The element of fire in Chinese culture represents passion, energy, movement, and the fire monkey also represents ambition, adventure, and change. So keep that in mind as you re-focus your life and your goals. Think about your passions, hobbies, and things or causes that make you feel fulfilled and bring you satisfaction or joy. A meaningful life is a life well lived and one with a purpose. Take the time to figure out what you’re passionate about. It can be an organization you’d like to be a part of and contribute to, a cause you’re passionate about or believe in, a hobby or subject you enjoy, or a career or industry you’ve always wanted to embark on. You deserve to be happy and figuring out what you are excited about, gives your spirit energy, and your heart joy are some keys to figuring out what you’re passionate about. You don’t have to do it for a living, but you do have to feel alive, so engage in things and opportunities that add value to your life. Maybe it’s making a difference in another person’s life, lending to a cause you believe in, or balancing your work life with hobbies that nurture other parts of your personality. What works for me is making sure that I don’t take my time for granted. Time is a luxury and time is limited. At the age of 22, overcoming my life threatening illness and surviving my near death experience taught me the value of time, of living up to my potential, the importance of figuring out my life purpose and passion, and having the courage to do it. There is a quote I’d like to share that sums up what I feel about living one’s life at this moment, “No matter what one does, regardless of failure or success, the experience is a form of success in itself.” Life is about trying new things, figuring out what you’re passionate about, and doing your passion. If it doesn’t work out, you can always go back to what you were doing before. The experience is the gift; the journey is the destination, and the most important thing to do is to try new things and do things that give you LIFE, not take away from it. Now go for it!

Stay tuned to part two of this article on conquering the rest of the Year! In the meantime, try to apply tips one through three to your life, and see how things will change or shift in your life. Change might happen fast or slow, but it will happen if you set your mind and intention to it.  You have the power to change your life at any moment. Go for it!  

Warmest Wishes,

Warmest wishes,
Panney Wei, C.Ht.
CEO, See the Way Consulting

Host and Featured Spiritual Teacher, "Quantum Wisdom"
Host, "See the Way with Panney Wei" podcast 

www.panneywei.com
www.quantumwisdomfilm.com